The 5S System: Workplace Organization and Standardization
5S is an effective tool for identifying and eliminating wasteful practices from your workplace. Created and perfected by Toyota, 5S incorporates a system of visual cues that help reduce waste and achieve more consistent operational results by maintaining an orderly workplace. 5S is widely used in a variety of organizations, including manufacturing, health care, financial institutions, and the military.
5S stands for Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain.
5S is the foundation of a successful Lean implementation, making possible the use of other Lean techniques and tools: Standardized work cannot be achieved without good 5S, Just in Time becomes deficient if 5S is done poorly, and the whole Lean culture cannot be absorbed without the 5S mentality. This workshop has been designed to introduce you to the 5S System and to help you learn basic implementation steps including how to evaluate and audit you own organization. Benefits: After attending this workshop, you will:
- Understand how the 5S system will help you correctly apply Lean techniques by making waste visible and by supporting standardized work requirements;
- Learn the purpose behind each step and the criteria to evaluate how well each “S” has been implemented;
- Get a structured format to start using this technique right away in your organization in order to create a pathway for Lean implementation and
- Be able to begin a 5S implementation and to carry the implementation throughout your organization to make 5S a part of your company culture
This is an interactive workshop that includes a hands-on simulation, preparing participants to immediately bring this technique to their workplace.
Office 5S – Office Organization and Standardization
In your office, can you find whatever you need in less than 30 seconds? Can anyone walk in and find what they need in less than 30 seconds? The aim of Office 5S is to remove what is not needed, place the necessary items at the point of use and create a clean, visual and high performance workspace. In this hands-on workshop, you will learn how to:
- Improve access to tools, supplies and information on paper and in electronic formats
- More effectively use resources
- Get by without the “irreplaceable” employee
- Improve workplace safety by eliminating clutter and physical obstacles
- Identify ergonomic solutions to make workstations more comfortable and productive
While an organized workspace is no doubt appealing to the eye, the value of implementing 5S in the office extends beyond simply creating an orderly appearance. The process of Sorting (organizing), Setting in Order (ordering), Shining (inspecting & cleaning), Standardizing (practicing), and Sustaining (creating discipline) your office functions will generate more value added output per worker. Improvements in productivity, safety, and quality will go right to the bottom line.